Are you interested in a yoga pose that simultaneously harnesses the triad of mind, body and spirit?
Trikonasana creates favorable conditions in the body to do all three in one convenient, though somewhat challenging, standing yoga pose.
Trikonasana, commonly called Triangle Pose, is a modern yoga posture. It is one of the standing asanas, meaning a posture done from a standing position, and it offers both strength and flexibility benefits for practitioners.
History Of This Standing Asana
The number three has long been important in mythology – as well as in the practice of ancient yoga, where Trikonasana originated centuries ago. Triangle Pose is popular in multiple styles of yoga, and the belief is that it allows the practitioner to create a triad with the body, thereby harnessing positive energy, grounding volatile energy and aiding in focus.
More About Triangle Pose
Trikonasana is an exercise featuring work in balance, strength and flexibility. Yoga practitioners also use it to calm negative energy and improve focus.
How To Prepare For This Pose
Vriksasana and Tadasana are both preparation poses for Triangle Pose. Learning their proper form first will facilitate a better Triangle Pose experience.
Guidance For A Perfect Trikonasana
- To start, stand at the top of your yoga mat with your feet 4-5 feet apart. Try to align your heels with one another.
- Rotate the right foot to a 90-degree angle, with your toes pointed toward the top of your yoga mat.
- Next, turn the left foot a bit inward. You want your back toes to be angled about 45 degrees.
- Try to root down into the mat through your ankles, while lifting through the arches of each foot.
- Lift your arms so they are parallel to the ground at shoulder height, with your palms facing the floor.
- Breathe deeply.
- Exhale and bend at your right hip, reaching your right hand toward where your right foot is pointing. Make an effort to keep your torso strong, not dropping it forward. With your left palm, reach up toward the sky.
- You may rest the right hand on ankle or shin or, if you are very flexible, place your hand on the floor. Your shoulders should be aligned with your left shoulder directly above the right.
- Hold the position for 60 seconds, or whatever length of time is comfortable for your fitness level, then turn and reverse your positioning to do Triangle Pose on the left side.
Benefits Of Trikonasana
There are four important benefits associated with Triangle Pose:
- Deep stretch for hamstrings, groin and hips
- Helps relieve lower back pain and sluggish indigestion
- Thought to be a holistic treatment for infertility
- Improves balance and flexibility
Variations And Modifications
If you are new to yoga, or to Trikonasana in particular, you may feel unsteady in this pose. If so, you may modify it by bracing your back – or just your back heel – against a wall for stability.
Trikonasana is considered a powerful posture in yoga, and who doesn’t want to feel more empowered? Practice triangle pose today and manifest more positive energy in your life while taking control of your health.