Though you might not have heard of the face pull, this hard-hitting exercise can bring some seriously huge benefits to your body!
This simple exercise will help strengthen and stabilize your shoulders and can help you balance out any push-based exercises that you may already be doing.
The Face Pull And The Cable Machine
In order to do the face pull, you’ll need a cable machine. An incredibly popular machine today, the cable machine is believed to have been invented by Jack LaLanne in the 1950s.
The cable machine features a cable, weight, and pulley system to create resistance and build strength. There are a number of exercises that can be done with the machine, and the face pull is just one of them!
This particular exercise isn’t widely known, though it is growing in popularity today. With more and more people using the cable machine to work on their chest, back, and shoulders, people have been finding out about the benefits of the face pull and adding the exercise to their workouts!
An Injury Prevention Exercise
The face pull is a very simple exercise and involves pulling weight towards your face. While this may not seem like it’s doing much, it’s actually seriously working your shoulders and upper back.
The pulling motion involved in this exercise provides a great way to balance out many push-based exercises that you may find in weightlifting, powerlifting, and deadlifting.
Make Way For The Face Pull
To maximize the benefits of this exercise, there are a few things you’ll want to do before attempting the move.
- Make sure you have access to a cable machine. These should be available in most gyms.
- Determine how much weight you want to use, then adjust your cable machine accordingly.
- Be sure that your cable height is between your upper chest and face, or slightly higher.
- Position yourself in front of the machine with a split stance and grab both cable handles.
Give Your Shoulders The Workout They Deserve
Ready to start your face pulls? All you have to do is:
- Slowly pull the weight towards your face. Keep your elbows at your side and pointed outwards.
- Pull far enough that the weight stops at about forehead height.
- Hold the pose for a count of a few seconds, then lower the weight slowly back to its starting position.
- Repeat steps 1-3 for the desired number of repetitions.
Great For Shoulder Stabilization
Your shoulders are incredibly important to the range of motion of your upper-body. With most exercises, the shoulders tend to undergo quite a bit of pressure, especially when those exercises involve pushing weight.
However, the face pull can help relieve this pressure and give your shoulders both a workout and a reprieve from the repetitive motion of pushing forward.
Changing Your Grip
One way to get an even more intense workout is to change the way you’re holding the cable handles. Instead of holding them with your palm facing down, try an underhand or hook grip.
This will improve the activation of your shoulder and upper-back muscles, giving you a little more engagement than the palms-down version of the exercise.
Take Care Of Your Shoulders
For successful workouts, it’s important that you keep your shoulders in tip-top shape! With face pulls, you’ll be able to bring some strength and stability training into your workout routine, all while helping release tension in the shoulders.