This dish’s very name may make it an imposter, but that doesn’t take away from the taste.
The Aussie chicken recipe doesn’t have any roots with Australia. However, a dish that calls for bacon, chicken, mushrooms and cheese is a dish that anyone from anywhere will love. This recipe takes time to make, but its one that your dinner guests will be impressed by every time. It’s definitely worth the effort.
What is Aussie Chicken?
Aussie chicken is a dish made of baked chicken with a honey mustard dressing, topped with mushrooms, cheese and bacon. It’s an indulgent dish that is comforting and filling. The sweetness in the honey mustard sauce balances out the salt in the bacon and cheese, making each bite flavorful.
The Origin of Aussie Chicken
The name of this recipe seems to imply it has Australian heritage. However, the recipe is a copy cat of a famous dish served at the Outback Steakhouse. While the Outback Steakhouse is said to be an Australian themed restaurant, most people know that the restaurant doesn’t serve traditional Australian dishes at all. There is a reason the Outback Steakhouse put this amazing dish on their menu. Australians love chicken parmigiana, and the Aussie Chicken is an interpretation of that dish.
Regardless, it speaks volumes to the wonderful taste of this dish. This chicken dish gained popularity in a steak restaurant (a feat in itself). So much so that it has inspired copycat recipes.
How to Make Aussie Chicken
Aussie chicken can be straight-forward to prepare but will take some time.
- Rub seasoning salt onto your chicken pieces and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook your bacon and set aside.
- Next, cook the mushroom in the bacon fat. Set aside.
- Prepare your honey mustard sauce by mixing together honey, mustard, mayo, corn syrup and dried onion flakes. (You can replace onion flakes with onion powder if needed. If you don’t have corn syrup, you can use more honey but this will result in a sweeter sauce).
- Portion the sauce into two equal parts and put one portion in the fridge.
- Fry chicken in a pan until each side is slightly browned.
- Place the cooked chicken in a baking pan. Cover the chicken with one portion of the honey mustard sauce. Next, layer the mushrooms, cooked bacon and cheese on top.
- Bake until the cheese is perfectly melted on top. The estimated cooking time is between 12-18 minutes.
- Top the dish with the remaining sauce and a sprinkle of parsley.
- Serve hot. Recommended to serve with a light salad or some vegetables as the dish itself is quite hearty.
For more detailed instructions, check out the recipe from All Recipes.
If you prefer not to use corn syrup, this recipe from Fav Family Recipes calls for a much simpler sauce with lemon juice instead. Or, this recipe from Six Sisters Stuff which uses two types of mustard and lemon juice.
Thanks to the Outback Steakhouse, the Aussie Chicken dish can be enjoyed in kitchens anywhere. This rich dish isn’t forgiving on the waistline, so it’s probably best to be saved for special occasions or only once a week. Add a side of green vegetables, and you have a well-balanced meal.