Want to learn a statement exercise, one that sets you apart from the crowd?
Muscle-Ups are just that – an advanced, intense upper-body workout that most are too intimidated to even attempt. Referred to as a “beast” by many in the fitness world, mastering it will earn you serious gym cred, along with a physique that will be the envy of all your friends.
What Is The Muscle-Up?
The Muscle-Up is an advanced exercise, combining elements of both strength training and calisthenics. It is made up of two separate movements done in combination: the radial pull-up and dip. It requires lifting your full bodyweight with just your arms and hands. It typically requires learning six progressions toward it before performing a Muscle-Up is physically possible.
Historical Basis Of This Advanced Move
Muscle-Ups evolved from the world of gymnastics and calisthenics. Today, the Muscle-Up is most often seen in advanced CrossFit workouts, where it is celebrated as an elite-level exercise attempted by few and mastered only by those with the grit and determination to stick with it.
Understanding More About The Muscle-Up
The Muscle-Up represents advanced strength training, with a dose of calisthenics to boot. It requires immense body strength – both pulling and pressing strength – and is akin to the pull-up in that it utilizes a bar above the practitioner’s head. The difference is that, instead of pulling upward on the bar to chin-height, you pull yourself up to waist-height.
Serious Preparation For A Serious Workout
Conventional wisdom among Muscle-Up pros is that you should be able to do ten pull-ups in succession before you can properly and safely complete a Muscle-Up. You should also be able to perform dips.
Finally, you’ll need to set your expectations – it will take time and effort to learn this exercise.
Muscle-Up Like A Pro – Step By Step Instructions To Succeed
- Grab the bar and create swing movement by engaging your abdominals and glutes. Swing your legs back and forth while keeping your torso centered.
- When your legs swing in front of you – AKA the “hollow” body position, pull down on the bar with arms straight and lift your hips up to your hands, while whipping your head over the bar.
- Now, from the bottom of traditional dip position, press your body upward with a tensed core and your legs in front.
- Celebrate your achievement – not many people can complete a Muscle-Up!
Benefits Of The Muscle-Up
Besides the obvious bragging rights that come with performing this advanced move, you will also get the following benefits:
- Increased grip strength
- Symmetrical arm muscle growth through working both the biceps and triceps equally
- Core muscle engagement that melts belly fat
For those who have mastered the Muscle-Up, it can be turned into a full-body exercise by adding leg movements to complement the upper-body work.
Traditional Muscle-Ups can also be done on gymnastic rings, rather than a pull-up bar, and the bar can be adjusted higher or lower for modified workouts.
If you’re game to take on this intimidating and challenging exercise – and you put in the time to master it – you’ll reap fitness benefits few others achieve.